Early spool notches

Discussions On All Vintage Mitchell Reels...
JohnEboy

Early spool notches

Post by JohnEboy »

Hi Chaps
Would anyone be able to share knowledge on the "notches " in some spools ? I'm probably the only one without a clear vision on this but I had imagined the recesses might be for hiding knots .
What sort of timeframe would we expect to see these range from ?

Many thanks
John

piscesman

Re: Early spool notches

Post by piscesman »

That's new to me. Never knew spools had notches in them. Maybe Wallace's book explains it.
Kim :text-coolphotos:

JohnEboy

Post by JohnEboy »

piscesman wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:46 pm That's new to me. Never knew spools had notches in them. Maybe Wallace's book explains it.
Kim :text-coolphotos:
Thanks Kim
I have other spools with the single notch , but this one is new to me as well , I have not seen one with both a single notch and double notch on the opposite side . I dont have Wallace's book but I cant see it mentioned in other books .
Kind regards
John

Altex

Post by Altex »

Dear John,

The notches are not something I had ever considered, but your query prompted me to look through what I have here. I am no wiser!!

I have several of the first spools which incorporate a spacer, and none of these are notched. This made me wonder if the notch was to indicate that a spacer was not required. However, not all later spools are notched which suggests that is not the reason.

The notch seems to first appear on late MK1/ early MK2 spools; the spools without spacer. Usually there is a single notch, but like you I have spools with single and double notches on the same spool.

The notch continues to appear inconsistently well into MK4 production. Around the time that the base of the spool became plastic the deep spools have a full height slot about 1/16 inch wide.

Hope you're keeping well, warm regards,

Rolands.

JohnEboy

Post by JohnEboy »

Altex wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:51 am Dear John,

The notches are not something I had ever considered, but your query prompted me to look through what I have here. I am no wiser!!

I have several of the first spools which incorporate a spacer, and none of these are notched. This made me wonder if the notch was to indicate that a spacer was not required. However, not all later spools are notched which suggests that is not the reason.

The notch seems to first appear on late MK1/ early MK2 spools; the spools without spacer. Usually there is a single notch, but like you I have spools with single and double notches on the same spool.

The notch continues to appear inconsistently well into MK4 production. Around the time that the base of the spool became plastic the deep spools have a full height slot about 1/16 inch wide.

Hope you're keeping well, warm regards,

Rolands.
Hi Rolands
Good to hear from you , I am relatively well thank you & I hope you are doing ok too ?

Many thanks for looking into the notches , based on your studies and book I think you might consider this spool came from a mk 2,2 , although if you have found them on reel across a wide time span that may be irrelevant .

I think perhaps if the Notches appear inconsistently it would rule out the theory of them being used to "hide" knots when attaching line to spools , if it was a valuable practice it would be on them all ? Unless it was on a specific manufacturer / supplier ?

best wishes
John

Altex

Post by Altex »

Dear John,

Your spool seems to have a flat base and release knob with flattish top so I think it is early and originated with a late MK1 or a MK2 reel. I can't see a spacer.

As you say, the notch was used inconsistently and was eventually phased out, so it couldn't have been regarded as important. I'm not sure about the theory that it's to hold the knot, but who knows.

I think the fact that the notch doesn't appear on the first spools with a spacer is probably significant.

It's tricky with spools because other than MIB reels one can never be sure whether a particular spool started life with a particular reel.

It seems to be one of those Mitchell mysteries that we'll probably never know the answer to.

Regards,

Rolands.

JohnEboy

Post by JohnEboy »

Altex wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:09 pm Dear John,

Your spool seems to have a flat base and release knob with flattish top so I think it is early and originated with a late MK1 or a MK2 reel. I can't see a spacer.

As you say, the notch was used inconsistently and was eventually phased out, so it couldn't have been regarded as important. I'm not sure about the theory that it's to hold the knot, but who knows.

I think the fact that the notch doesn't appear on the first spools with a spacer is probably significant.

It's tricky with spools because other than MIB reels one can never be sure whether a particular spool started life with a particular reel.

It seems to be one of those Mitchell mysteries that we'll probably never know the answer to.

Regards,

Rolands.
Thanks Roland's, externally the spool appears very early , yet I'm not so sure when it's taken apart .

Perhaps its not a bad thing to have a few mysteries left

Best wishes
John

Schrack

Post by Schrack »

After looking a photo, one question are they solid or have a small hole.
If their is a hole that is how your line is started.
I would guess very early.

JohnEboy

Post by JohnEboy »

Schrack wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:53 pm After looking a photo, one question are they solid or have a small hole.
If their is a hole that is how your line is started.
I would guess very early.
I wouldn't say holes . They don't go anywhere , it is just a recess . Actually quite handy for hiding the knot when you attach line .