402 saltwater

Discussions On All Vintage Mitchell Reels...
greenfeet

402 saltwater

Post by greenfeet »

I.m looking for any information on a Mitchell 402 saltwater. No serial number I can find. I also have a 302 saltwater reel with extra spool in a case. I would appreciate any help or ideas where to research vintage reels. Thank you.

piscesman

Re: 402 saltwater

Post by piscesman »

Welcome to the site. :text-welcomeconfetti: What information are you looking for? The serial number will be on the bottom of the foot. It could be very faint. Clean the bottom and use a magnifying glass to help you see. The spools for the 402 & 302 are interchangeable. They can be removed by grabbing the outer rim of the spool and turn counterclockwise looking at the top of the reel. If it seems to be stuck, then turn the drag nut tighter to help lock up the drag washers. They cannot be interchanged with the 403 & 303. They have lefthanded threads on spool shaft. Be very careful while cleaning and such. There are some small parts in those reels, and they can be lost while servicing them. I use a plastic dishpan while servicing mine so all parts stay put. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!
Kim