Introduction.

Discussions On All Vintage Mitchell Reels...
FusilDarne

Introduction.

Post by FusilDarne »

Let’s start here:

My Father’s 1960 300, and my own 1974 301. While it appears to be a 301C, it was repaired on a trip to the BWCA when I was a kid, by a tackle shop along the way. The AR lever pin fell out, and I made such a fuss to my church group leader, he stopped to see if it could be repaired. It was! Wrong number on the side, but, I was a kid and didn’t care, it worked like a million bucks, then and now. Been like that since 1977 or so. The reel is a little beat up, but, it went everywhere with me, usually on my bicycle.

My Dad would have bought the 300 in 1960, a year before I was born. He graduated to a 330, and a 1971 vintage 440. When my Dad passed in 2009, my little brother and I split his fishing and hunting equipment. My brother is now confined to a nursing home, and the legacy outdoor equipment lives with me. The exception are the 330, and a 331, which have vanished, most likely a less than honest roommate my brother had pawned them for some vodka money.

Hey, it happens. Wish my brother could still use the gear, but, it was not meant to be, I guess.

My Dad’s gear is all like new. He drove it in his Oldsmobile, not on a bike. He wasn’t a kid, either. He took exceptional care of all his possessions, always. I’m looking to replace the 331, my son will end up with the 300 and the 440. I have a 441 of my own, and some of my Dads baitcasting reels, an Abu 6500C and an Abu 5000. Now that I’m older, I’d like to do a bit more fishing with the vintage gear my family owned.

Just wanted to give the regulars a chance to know a bit about me.

Ted

Ted Lanham

Re: Introduction.

Post by Ted Lanham »

FusilDarne,
:text-welcomeconfetti: to the Mitchell Reel Museum.
Your introduction sounds similar to many of those I've heard concerning their history with these reels. The most common thing I detect from all these stories is the love and respect for these old fish catching machines.

Regards,
Ted Lanham

FusilDarne

Post by FusilDarne »

Thank you for the welcome. My Dad had good taste in fishing gear, a further clean out of the old homestead netted (HA! A pun!) two Shakespeare President II baitcasting reels, mounted to Shakespeare boron rods.

I’m a bit surprised how few 331 reels are out there. Have to keep looking.

A joyous holiday season to all.

Ted

piscesman

Post by piscesman »

The 331 was produced in less quantities than the 330. The lefthanded Mitchell reels were generally made in only 10% of the righthanded ones. I have a list of the number of Mitchells made somewhere around here but can't locate it right now. I also fish with a 331 and have a backup. You might try the big auction site and narrow your search for the reel. Welcome to the site and good luck. It looks as though your dad purchased a Conolon rod for his 300. I always use Conolon for my Mitchells.
Kim

FusilDarne

Post by FusilDarne »

Thank you! I found a 331 for sale on the ‘bay, in England, but, the bloke apparently isn’t interested in international shipment. Or, responding to messages. Oh, well. I can keep looking. In a pinch I can use a right handed reel, and the 441 and 301 will still be here to use. My Dad’s favorite was his 330. I’m not sure I ever saw him use the 300. It still looks like new.

My Dad always bought the best, or, what he considered the best, for hunting and fishing. He figured his time off was too precious to not have good gear to use, and, he was right. My son, his grandson, has some very nice hunting and fishing implements left from Dad. My Dad was a career Marine, and fished and hunted all over the world. Years ago, I hung his 2 Mitchell 302 reels up on my rec room wall, I did service them and fish Lake Superior one time, but, they don’t have much use for me here in Minnesota. Just memories of Dad at this point.

I appreciate the warm welcome. Good fishing, fellows!

Ted

piscesman

Post by piscesman »

Who would know if you cleaned up your space you could locate "lost objects"??? :lol: :lol: :lol: I found the misplaced reel sheet and here goes. Remember these are estimated numbers with reliable intel. Mitchell 330 ( including Garcia ), 771,934 made. Mitchell 331 (Garcia), 8,331 made. Around the 10% of righthanded reels made, so you see the difference. Good Luck in your search.
Kim

FusilDarne

Post by FusilDarne »

Thank you for that. I did read, somewhere, that the 331 production was on the order of 8000 or so. I might be looking a while. But, I have other reels to use.

I am not really a collector, just a guy who uses what worked for him as a kid. The neighbor kids fished with Zebco stuff, that seemed to mostly work, but, were in awe at my open faced reel and it’s matching blue Garcia pole.

I’m still that guy. But, I’m going to add a few vintage reels that are specific lefty versions, just for me to use.

Most of my reels need to be stripped, cleaned, and lubed. Winter is here, so I have time to get them running flawlessly.

Ted

piscesman

Post by piscesman »

Ted,
We never intentionally start out as collectors, just want some reliable reels when the time counts. 5 years down the road, "so what, I have some extra Mitchells to back me up when the time counts". 10 years and more, "yes I know I have more Mitchells than our neighbors, who cares?" After that point as 85% of us here know it is a lifelong LOVE for those Mitchells not an addiction. You can't replace perfection, but they are still at yard sales, garage sales, auctions and pawn shops to mention a few. Here's to your new great find for 2023.
Kim :twocents-02cents: :twocents-02cents: :twocents-02cents: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: