Mitchell 300 pro and Black Mitchell 400

Discussions On All Vintage Mitchell Reels...
Grahamwin

Mitchell 300 pro and Black Mitchell 400

Post by Grahamwin »

Hi Mitchell Mates are the later Mitchell 300 Pro and the Black Mitchell 400 reels with roller bearings almost the same reel. I believe these reel were introduced in the 1980s and both have made in France on the reel body. They look and feel very similar, are the internals the same. I know that the 300pro has the wooden handle and the 400 has the flat plastic handle. They both came with carbon spools and both these reels will take the earlier plastic/metal spools that fit the 300 and 410 reels. What is your opinion of these later made reels ?
Regards Grahamwin

Ted Lanham

Re: Mitchell 300 pro and Black Mitchell 400

Post by Ted Lanham »

Grahamwin,
I haven't had any contact with one of the 80's versions of the Mitchell 400, but I have had a couple 300 Pros and they appear to be very well made and reliable reels. I never fished with either and didn't keep either long term, so I don't know how many years they last. I have older 300 that is near 60 years old and is still going strong.
I do know that a 300 Pro in nice condition brings a premium price, so one could make the assumption that they are very desirable.
As for the 80s reels, in general, I particularly, don't care for their bails. they don't seem to hold up as well as the older models.

Regards,
Ted Lanham

Grahamwin

Re: Mitchell 300 pro and Black Mitchell 400

Post by Grahamwin »

Thanks for your reply Ted, I suspect the Mitchell Pro and the Black Mitchell 400 reel have the same internal roller bearing gearing. The main difference between the two reels is the wooden handle knob and the black coloured bailarm on the 300 Pro. I have handled both types and they are very smooth and do appear very similar reels. No doubt they would both make good fishing reels especially if they have the later type graphite spools.
I have not opened one to inspect the internal gearing, but is the M8 gearing made in France as inferior as some people say ?
Grahanwin