1/2 Bail!

Discussions On All Vintage Mitchell Reels...
Schrack

1/2 Bail!

Post by Schrack »

Why did Mitchell do away with 1/2 Bail?

piscesman

Re: 1/2 Bail!

Post by piscesman »

IMOHO, they wanted a better line pick-up, the full bail. Since the full bail was still under copy-right they had no choice but to produce 1/2 bails. When the full bail C-R expired Mitchell then started producing them. To me the full bail has many advantages over the 1/2 bail. The rest is history........
Kim

don309

Post by don309 »

:text-goodpost:

Not home retired and fishing! Or playing with my Mitchell's!
Bailarm

Post by Bailarm »

Full bails were on sale in the US in late 1953 it would appear.

A patent granted to Hardy Brothers in the UK kept them out until it expired in September 1954.

The UK maker JW Young tried to get a two-piece bail arm, called a flexible pick-up, past the patent but Hardy objected.

Garcia must have seen the full bail as an improvement as they offered half bail customers a kit to convert to full bail.

But as to just why Mitchell went full bail.....I can't say.

Maybe because they thought it would leave them behind if they didn't sales wise?

The half bail was selling well in 1953 and '54 but it was a little after that that sales went through the roof with the one millionth reel being made in just 1957. So it seem the full bail was well received.

It seems the last half bails went to the UK in 1954 by which time they had the new six figure serial number. I've never seen one myself, but a man I trust has seen several.

}<)))'> Bailarm
Schrack

Post by Schrack »

My guess is they went with changing times, and I do agree full bail operates better, and would give full pick up.
Bet you had some awesome birds nest with 1/2 bail.